About mary bridget
Mary Bridget Davies is an American singer and actress. She performs with her own band, Mary Bridget Davies, and is also an interpreter of Janis Joplin's music. She received a Tony Award nomination for Best Lead Actress in a Musical for her performance as Janis in A Night with Janis Joplin. Her band The Mary Bridget Davies Group released an album with original songs in 2012 titled Wanna Feel Somethin.
She trained first as a dancer, touring with dance productions as a child working with Tina Landon, and later began singing and acting. Davies has studied improv with The Second City in Cleveland and is also a member of the Something Dada Improv Group in Cleveland. After college, Davies started singing at blues jams in Cleveland around 2002. Also during this time she worked as a dance instructor at Dance Dimensions in Ohio with Jen Naso. In 2005, she auditioned and landed the lead role for a touring production of Love, Janis. She has toured in Europe with Janis Joplin's original band, Big Brother and the Holding Company, and has formed her own band, titled The Mary Bridget Davies Group that tours in festivals and clubs worldwide.
In 2012, Davies took over the lead role in A Night with Janis Joplin on tour, and stayed with the show when it moved to Off-Broadway and eventually Broadway in 2013, closing February 9, 2014. Davies was nominated for a Tony Award for Best Lead Actress in a Musical for her performance. She had previously been nominated in 2013 for a Helen Hayes Award for Best Lead Actress in a Musical. Davies has also performed in a tour of the Broadway musical revue It Ain't Nothin' But the Blues.
Ms. Davies recent performances at SXSW and a week long residency in Pasadena, CA where she was joined by The Doors’ Robby Krieger, Slash, The MC5’s Wayne Kramer, Dave & Phil Alvin of The Blasters, Bob Mothersbaugh of DEVO, Ty Taylor of Vintage Trouble, Doug Pinnick of King’s X and members of Tom Morello’s Nightwatchmen and Gnarls Barkley.
Davies reprised her role as Janis Joplin in A Night with Janis Joplin for the First National North American Tour boasting sold out shows across the country and Canada performing 63 shows in 11 weeks. Davies has lived and performed in Kansas City, New York City, and currently lives in Cleveland. In late 2017 she gave birth to her first child, a son.
Currently writing a new album, Davies expects it’s release in early 2019.
- Recipient of the BEST VOCALIST AWARD by the Cleveland Free Times
- 2005 International Blues Challenge FINALIST
- Won award for BEST MOMENT IN THEATRE 2007 by the Kansas City Pitch for role as Janis Joplin in the Off-Broadway smash musical, Love, Janis
- 2011 International Blues Challenge Second Place WINNER
- 2012 Blues Blast Award Nominations for “Best New Artist Debut CD”
- 2012 Blues Blast Award Nomination for “Sean Costello Rising Star”
- 2013 Blues Music Award® Nomination for Best New Artist Debut
- 2013 Helen Hayes Award Nomination
- 2014 LA Outer Critic’s Circle Award WINNER
- 2014 Theater World Award WINNER
- 2014 TONY Nomination for Best Lead Actress in a Musical for her role as Janis Joplin in A Night with Janis Joplin
Wanna Feel Somethin'
Mary Bridgets album is now available on iTunes
Mary Bridget provided the narration for the audiobook of "Love, Janis"
A night with janis Joplin
Check out Mary Bridget Davies' Tony nominated performance in the Broadway musical, "A Night With Janis Joplin"
by Paul Undersinger